Thursday, July 14, 2005

Tooth Fairy

On Tuesday night Callista lost her first tooth. I got to have fun being the "tooth fairy" for the first time in my life. I snuck in, grabbed the napkin with the tooth in it, replaced the tooth with a shiny Sacagawea dollar, re-wrapped it, and shoved the napkin back under her pillow.

Well, she concluded the fairy must be really magic because she just turned the tooth into a coin! Bill (unhelpfully) worried that she might do that to teeth that were still in Callista's mouth... but she knew he was just fooling around. She's getting very good at rolling her eyes at Bill's comments. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Anyway, the funny part of this story is when I was talking to her about it last night. First, she said that the dollar was *2000* years old and she knew that because it said so on the coin. I could not convince her otherwise, so I gave up! Then we had the following conversation:

Me: "by the way, do you know who that is on your dollar?"
Her: "it's one of the presidents from a long time ago - a woman president"
Me: "oh?"
Her: "yeah. She looks like George Washington. She must be George Washington's wife!"
Me: "Did you notice that she was carrying a baby?"
Her: "yes! I know who that is!"
Me: "Who?"
Her: "who's that other guy again? Not Kerry..."
Me: "you mean Bush?"
Her: "yeah him. That's him when he was a baby."
Me: "Hmmm. I don't know about that..."

...and then the conversation kind-of moved on to other things because she got sick of talking about it.

Problem is, I still need to tell her the truth about the coin. And I will, I promise. But I wanted to hold on to the sweet illusion that Sacagawea was a woman president from a long time ago. That there were women presidents a long time ago - of course!

I'll just say this: I love 6 year-olds!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible world view children have.

For anyone who ever wondered whether it really matters whether all our coins show old dead white men... this answers the question. Yes, it does.

12:19 PM, July 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would worry too much about Sacagawea being a woman president... what *really* worries me is having Baby Bush on a coin. :-|

12:10 PM, July 16, 2005  
Blogger S. said...

Wow....Sacagawea as Bush's mother...interesting.

2:25 PM, July 25, 2005  
Blogger The CO said...

Oh learning to tell when someone is pulling your leg and not getting distrustfull is a _very_ good sign. It means she reads people pretty well.

11:36 AM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home