Saturday, March 19, 2005

Can anyone help me?

I have a question. This question is targeted toward:

1) those who know me personally
or who have read my entire blog

and

2) those who know what the terms deontology & consequentialism mean (you're free to look these terms up)

Anyway, the question is:

Am I a deontologist or a consequentialist?

I think I'm a consequentialist, but I have to defend this in writing for my "Bioethics: Conceptual Foundations" class. And I'm finding it very difficult, because I think both notions are quite compelling. Every other day I seem to change my mind as to which one I am, because I think of some new moral question I didn't consider before. And BTW, saying "both" is strictly prohibited, as is saying "neither".



So far, I've written an incredibly disjointed description of myself as a "rule consequentialist" and am having trouble defending myself against my own deontological attacks.

Maybe this explains why I'm part of the "virtuous non-believers" in the Dante's Inferno test (true believers are always deontologists, IMO). Maybe this is the punishment for virtuous non-believers - that they will never know whether they are a deontologist or a consequentialist.

Maybe what I really need is some sleep... ;o)

Besides, it's quite possible that by the time I get any answers (I suppose that's if and when), I will have already turned in my paper. But it will still be an interesting thing to see what others think.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't we have this conversation before? :-)

If I were you, I would found a third school called "Preuningeralism". But this might not get your paper a good grade.

I took that Dante's Inferno test and ended up in the 6th level, the City of Dis, along with all the other Heretics. Hooray! ;-)

5:54 PM, March 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

consequentialist.

totally consequentialist.

abortion, as one example.

10:27 PM, March 21, 2005  
Blogger Barbara Preuninger said...

Yael,

I'm glad you said consequentialist, because that's what I went with and I'm not changing it now. But I'm a "rule consequentialist", not an "act consequentialist".

10:23 AM, March 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no!
now i have to procrastinate by looking up the difference between a rule and an act consequentialist!
i won't do it. (at this moment).
:)

back to writing the dissertation.
-yael

8:52 PM, March 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home