Wednesday, September 08, 2004

First Day of Kindergarten

Yesterday was Callista's first day of Kindergarten. She was all about proving that she knew everything already. The sad thing is that probably already does know most of the academics. I'd much rather she felt she was average or even slightly below the other students so that her overconfidence wouldn't turn to laziness and then into boredom. I want her to be excited about learning and not think that being smart is an end in itself. Unfortunately, I get caught up in that mentality myself.

But she had fun. We'll see how the year goes.


2 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

Sadly, I think that even if your daughter was below other students, she would still wind up bored or at least extremely uninspired when it comes to learning. It's just the way things go when you're forced to learn decontextualized random facts that seem to have no bearing on your life.

I just finished a good book on how to encourage and support your child's love of learning called Guerilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School. It's written for parents who plan to keep their kids in school but who want to make sure that their instinctual love of learning doesn't get beaten and/or bored out of them...although I don't think your conservative side would like it. ;-)

10:23 PM, September 08, 2004  
Blogger Barbara Preuninger said...

Oh, don't think I wouldn't like it. I really appreciate the suggestion! I think I've heard of the book before, but sort-of forgot about it. I still have about $20 left on a Barnes and Noble Gift card. Now I know how I'd like to spend it. Thanks again!

7:21 AM, September 09, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home