Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fiction vs. Non-fiction

Last weekend Callista and I were putting her books on two different shelves when I had the idea that we could sort them into fiction and non-fiction, just as one of those spontaneous learning exercises.

Well, I almost messed up big time, because she picked up a book about Santa Claus and said "oh, non-fiction". I started to correct her by reminding that non-fiction is "stuff that's true", but luckily I caught myself just in time. (By the way, I've never technically lied about Santa Claus. I do believe in the spirit of Santa Claus, so when I tell Callista that I think he's "invisible", I'm quite sincere.)

Then, to add to the humor of the moment, she picked up her Children's picture Bible and asked "These stories - are they real or not?" I, the good UU parent that I am, hemmed and hawed for a bit, then began a confused and ultimately ineffective explanation of library standards. Which she rather abruptly interrupted with "I believe 'em.", while thrusting the book into the "non-fiction" section. I didn't laugh out loud, but was I laughing very hard on the inside! Did I ever mention that I really like 7-year-olds?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home